jess knows best

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Our Weekend

Thanks Dad and Honey! The tree I blogged about last time is, in fact, a cherry tree. An Ornamental Japanese Cherry Tree, to be precise, according to my most informative neighbor. I tried making an arrangement out of the blossoms, but they don't seem to last very long. This weekend, we finally got all the rooms in the house sorted out! Rory rented a trailer, and we got a lot done... First off, our living room got a makeover! Before, we had these chairs in the sitting area over by the heater. They were okay, and I liked their shape, but I hated the way they looked in the room. Blue, green and yellow stripes hardly go with our burgundy, blue and green rug. We tried covering them with a throw blanket, hiding the pattern with oversized pillows and just plain ignoring them, but I'd resigned myself to the fact that we would either have to cover them or buy something new. As 1) I'm not very good at covering things and 2) our favorite second-hand furniture has recently closed down 'until further notice', we'd been wondering where we were going to find an affordable replacement. And then, luck struck! When we went to our friend Paul's house for our weekly Games Night, Rory noticed that Paul and Karen had a new couch... and were getting rid of their old ones! They're nice and neutral, work perfectly in the space and (best of all) were totally free! Pretty good, huh?! This is my favorite spot in the whole house... after I've made dinner and had a bath, I'm generally doing something on that couch. Its right by the heater, so it stays nice and warm all evening long. We picked up that wooden chest this weekend at Salvos, and I think it finishes off the area nicely. I recovered the top, which was covered with an ugly, stained, green fabric, and now we have a great chest that does double duty as an extra seat. We also finished off our office (previously our box-dumping room). We've been storing a whole heap of stuff in the office, shutting the door, and ignoring the mess and disorder that was just getting worse and worse. Before we picked up the desk we had to clean up the room so that we could at least open the door... I keep asking myself why I didn't get rid of stuff BEFORE we moved instead of moving it all and THEN throwing it away. Doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? I had found a desk on ebay, and we went to pick it up, but unfortunately the lady we were buying it from wasn't home (this was AFTER she had confirmed that she would be and AFTER we had agreed on a time). Luckily, our good, standard stand by was open... Salvos! And they had a desk that looked better than the one we were going to pick up from the ebay lady. The trim is blue, which fits great with our color scheme throughout the house... blue was the 'decor' color from our paint chip! Here's what the office looks like now: So, we had a very successful weekend! Rory also finished off the kitchen, so the whole house is looking great! I guess next weekend we'll start on the garden... and THAT is going to be a big job.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home