jess knows best

Friday, August 21, 2009

The Weather I Wish Mom and Dad Had

Mom and Dad came a week too early. When they were here, we kept promising warm afternoons, beautiful sunsets and clear skies... but all we got was cold, wet, and dreary. Every morning we woke up to thick blankets of fog that lifted into freezing cold days without the smallest flower in bloom. But this week, just a week after they left, has brought about a whole new Canberra. The ugly brown stick tree that donned our front yard when Mom and Dad were here has sprouted the most beautiful little pink blossoms... and I was about to chop it down! Is this a cherry tree? Does anybody know? I think maybe we might have homemade cherry pie later this year! Or perhaps I shall give the cherry jam I destroyed last year another go. Regardless of culinary intent, the blooms are beautiful... and there are six more trees just like it on our street, and several on the ANU campus. Speaking of the ANU, here are a few pictures I took on campus yesterday: Isn't it a beautiful time of year? Its lovely to go for walks around campus at lunchtime, and its been warm lately, too... no jacket required Wednesday or yesterday!! There are lots of ducks around campus that I like to feed at lunch... how many can you spot in that second picture?! I found seven, but its a bit of a dark shot so they're hard to find. So see, Mom and Dad? Canberra is beautiful, although I'm sorry you didn't get to see all that!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Mark Rigby said...

Looks beautiful and yes, I think those are cherry blossums. Considering it was about 104 degrees when we got back to Houston, the cool weather was a great break! Love, Dad

August 23, 2009 at 12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home